Rube Goldberg Machine
As one of the side projects for artist solve problems, everyone made a Rube Goldberg machine. We had to work in teams and create a chain reaction made of everyday common objects that would eventually complete an action. Our plan was to make a marble roll into paint and make a stroke on a sheet of paper. While making the machine we ran into several problems. One of the main problems was figuring out how to give a tennis ball a strong enough impact to roll over a "see-saw", but weak enough to make sure the tennis ball doesn't bounce off the table. We solved the problem by taking a piece of cardboard and folding it at the perfect angle to achieve what we needed.
School Spirit on the Stairs
This project was the epitome of artist solve problems. The amount of mishaps and issues that occurred was purely insane. It's like the world just did not want the project to happen, however, we pushed on. The idea was for Sarah Brown and i to make the Apex A on a set of stairs. We used perspective so the A only perfectly matches up when standing in a specific spot. This made it extremely hard to line up the sides and shape of the A. To solve the problem one of us put tape down for the basic outline while the other (standing at the bottom of the stairs) directed where the tape should go. Although making the A from this perspective made it difficult most of the issues arose from things unrelated to art. First we were denied permission so we had to beg to be allowed, we had to change our original idea of painting the A to making it with chalk, someone took the tape off the stairs so we had to start over and then someone yelled at us and tried to tell us to take it all off. But still, i am glad we didn't give up.